When you find your tribe you can fulfil your purpose.
“A tribe is a group of people connected to one another; connected to a leader, and connected to an idea. For millions of years, human beings have been part of one tribe or another. A group needs only two things to be a tribe: a shared interest and a way to communicate.” SETH GODIN
TRIBE = A shared interest + A way to communicate
This is the tenth year I’ve been connected to my Thought Leaders Tribe. They are the smartest, most diverse, gracious, and accepting group of people I’ve had the pleasure of working with. Last week we gathered as part of our Thought Leaders Business School to help ‘clever people be commercially smart’ – The room is equal parts inspiring and intimidating, both in good ways. The space invites you to stretch, give, get, grow and become more than you thought possible. We celebrate wins, debrief losses, and leverage learnings. It’s a core part of my personal and commercial rhythm.
Participating in a Tribe has two big ideas. Firstly, meaningful relationships. It’s very Maslow to know we need love, belonging and esteem. Tribe can provide that. Secondly, we need purposeful activity. Knowing we gather to be someone worthwhile and to do something worthwhile. Tribe is a connection of our hearts and a linking of our hands. Leaders understand that we identify with a people group and in doing so set up the three reasons for a tribe.
The Why of The Tribe
- Acceptance – Being open and embracing others.
- Engagement – Choosing to lean in and move from attending to belonging.
- Contribution – Adding value to the tribe with your superpowers.
It’s that sense of excitement you have when you gather. It’s the open arms of the leaders you receive. It’s the clarity of purpose you hear. It’s the passion for something bigger than yourself you resonate with. Tribes are our new community for belonging and becoming, and finding your people has never been more important.
At a deeper level tribes offer three more reasons to fully commit.
- When you have acceptance and engagement you have community
(Declaration: “I belong here”)
- When you have acceptance and contribution you have affirmation
(Declaration: “My skills are valued here”)
- When you have engagement and contribution you have transformation
(Declaration: “I give and grow here”)
The Tribe Pathway
- Take full responsibility for connecting in to the tribe of your choice.
- Practice purposeful service. Be a giver.
- Bring your authentic A Game. We want you more than a perfect version of you.
- Expect to both lead and be led.
- Add so much value you leave the tribe better than how you found it.
When you find your tribe you can fulfil your purpose. And also help others do the same.
This is for leaders. I am for leaders.