I love seeing people win.
I love it so much.
When we work together in such a way that sees new layers of understanding take place. When the depth of self awareness serves the discipline of self leadership that leads to the delight of outcomes to be proud of, that gets me out of bed.
Late last week I sent off an email to a client and found myself asking them questions to get them centred and focused. Even writing the questions helped. You can ask these 12 questions to lead yourself even more effectively right now.
They are in the first person to help you get grounded immediately.
HEART – Your ‘Self’
- Am I at peace?
WHY? Peace is a possession of your soul that helps you make every and any kind of decision.
- How would I describe my ability to manage my emotions right now?
WHY? Becoming self aware of what ‘presses your buttons’ helps you navigate maturity and change.
- Am I holding any offence or unforgiveness towards anyone?
WHY? You can’t celebrate someone you harbour offence towards.
- Am I finding joy in meaningful life experiences?
WHY? Similarly to peace, joy is something you possess and its absence reveals an inability to delight in the ordinary.
HEAD – Your Mindset
- When people affirm me, what is the dominant narrative in my head?
WHY? You move towards, and become, your most dominant thoughts. You are what you think.
- Is my attention and energy focused predominantly on me or others?
WHY? People get tired when you make it all about you. Enough said.
- Am I tolerating any unresourceful patterns of thinking right now?
WHY? We move toward what we focus on. You need your mindset to be taking you to a destination you’d be happy to be at.
- How well am I balancing my unique superpowers and humility?
WHY? You are world class at something, please do that with all your heart. Avoid arrogance and hubris at all costs.
HANDS – Your Activity
- What behaviours must I take full responsibility for?
WHY? All change starts with taking responsibility. Simple and hard at the same time.
- If I did nothing differently for 12 months would I be happy with where I ended up?
WHY? Direction determines destination. You are headed somewhere. Be excited and proud to be there.
- What have I avoided for more than 10 days?
WHY? Sabotage and procrastination are subtle and unresourceful beasts. Accountability helps.
- Where do I notice myself to be motivated without assistance?
WHY? Do what you would do for free so well people will pay you for it. Excellence and stewardship matter.
Plato said, “The first and best victory is to work on yourself.”
What a fantastic beginning you’ve made!
This is for leaders. I am for leaders.